AddThis

Chasing Linen

Dianuh Kim 

the artist behind the brand | portrait session



     How might two strangers become instant friends then turn collaborating creative partners you might ask?  Simple.  When you both have an interest in blogging, (almost) matching wrist tattoos and an overabundant love for Jesus, conversation and friendship easily follows.

It was a couple months after meeting Dianuh that she invited me to the Fullerton Art Walk because her prints were being featured and sold in one of the coffee shops participating in the art showcase.  I was there in a heartbeat!  I hadn't seen all of Dianuh's artwork until that night.  The use of color and the way she portrayed life made me an instant fan.  I own the 'Roaring Cascades' piece which is a lion head with his colorful mane flowing behind him (such a rich tribute to the animal kingdom I might add).  The watercolor paintings speak of beauty and they also fully embody the vibrancy that is Dianuh.  

I asked Dianuh what inspired her to create this business and this is what she told me:

 "I started Chasing Linen shop in the summer of 2013 out of sheer accident.  My original intention was to fundraise for a mission trip for Alaska I was going on that summer and wanted to make something both visually beautiful and functional.  I began brainstorming for ideas and thought a calendar would be perfect because it's something that you look at on a daily basis.  With this idea, I began marketing on social media with one month as an example and posted that the first 11 people to place a preorder can pick their own animal to be featured on the calendar.  It was such a fun collaborative project and I began to receive orders immediately.  I poured out my heart on each month and at the end, I was able to raise enough to not only cover my mission fund but others on the team as well.  It was totally not my intention to start a shop but with the encouraging nudging of my friends and social media, I started my shop and about a year and half later, I am so happy that I did!"

Why the name Chasing Linen?

"Chasing Linen was my user name before I officially started a shop.  Originally, it derives from Mark 5:25 in the Bible where it tells the story of the woman who had been bleeding for 12 years.  The rest of the chapter tells of her story of disease and suffering to her story of healing and new identity when she reaches out in faith, touching a piece of Jesus' cloak, made of linen. Chasing Linen represents just that: chasing after your dreams, purity, healing, and a greater calling.  I fully believe in the pursuit of happiness and giving it all you've got.  That woman did not have an easy life but she never gave up pursuing her dreams of being healed and that's the kind of heart I aspire to have."


This resonates with me because I relate to that woman and with Dianuh's vision.  I remember what it's like to have your dreams swallowed by hopelessness, losing sight of  the light.  I vividly recall the day about two years ago I shakily reached out, just as this woman did, to touch that linen cloak.  I prayed that Jesus would bring some sort of clarity into my life.  And that He did.  Photography has been one outlet for my healing.  It has helped me in the process of restoring my mind, body, and soul and has given me a new set of dreams, and a new identity.  It's beautiful really, the healing power of redemption, and how we ought to be forever chasing linen and those God given dreams.  


Dianuh's work is available for purchase here--












I know you were wondering, right?
As to the aforementioned tattoos--
Mine is the word 'redeemed' on my left wrist. 

Dianuh's is the Hebrew 'chesed' 
meaning 'loving, kindness, and faithfulness' 
...also on her left wrist.

- - -
#photosbyalysha 


No comments:

Post a Comment