AddThis

City Of Lights

Enchante, Paris!



My upcoming trip to Paris seems to creep closer and closer (4 months away). And while I am concerned with making sure I have a converter to charge my phone, my passport is all taken care of, my playlists are set just right for that plane ride; the one thing continually looming in my mind is: what clothes to PACK.  When I think of Paris, I think beautiful lights, steeping architecture, dancing in the street, walking through a ballroom with a chandelier dripping in diamonds.  And come on, we’ll need outfits to match that lifestyle.  Bring on the LV, the Dior, and the Chanel, that’s what I envision, women walking through the streets decked out carrying a classic Prada handbag, and silk blouse and decadent skirt to tie the look together.  Then, I look in my closet, I see black floral midi shorts, I see long floral maxi dresses, galaxy patterned leggings, my leather jackets, my denim button up shirt, my comfortable Vans, combat boots, and metallic sandals.  In my mind, all these items scream that I need to start from square one and go on a serious lux shopping rampage.  As I’m consumed with these thoughts, I’m reminded that my mom had bought me this book a couple birthday’s past, Parisian Chic: A Style Guide.  If I had known when I unwrapped this book that it was foreshadowing a trip of a lifetime, I would have squeezed mom a little tighter J

I only had to read until page 19, to be put immediately at ease.  This book gives a list of 10 item pairings recommended to dress just like a Parisian, and fortunately and unbeknownst to me my wardrobe would reflect just that of a woman living right on Rue Guynemer in the sixth arrondissement.  Women of Paris aren’t all about the name brand, luxury items.  It’s more about mixing and matching patterns, with low priced vintage steals and only a couple higher priced, killer pieces.  That’s my style motto; wear what feels right but stand out doing it, and at a fraction of the price.  I will mix and match, pairing a navy velvet tube top tucked into high-waisted shorts, not forgetting the high top Converse.  When packing, my mantra is typically “bring the necessities, along with one or two awesome, interchangeable pieces.”  Women of Paris seem to dress for comfort and ease, and aren’t afraid to partner feminine pieces with masculine items (which I’ve been known to pair a black wispy dress with a solid pair of black sturdy combat boots).

My new checklist of what to pack has begun, and luckily I should not have to go anywhere else than my own closet (except that I will want to because let’s face it, I’m a passionate, self proclaimed fashion addict and will need at LEAST half a dozen NEW items to showcase on the other side of the pond).  Let me share the 10 ideas Ines de la Fressange shares in her book that I’m totally going to use as my Paris dress inspiration with hopes that this check off list inspires, and HELPS all you globe trotting fashionistas as well.  From my closet to yours, and all idea cred. to Ines...


Look #1tux jacket with sneakers (not femme fatale stilettos). Easy, I grabbed my black Olivia Moon blazer, Urban Outfitter cutout dress, and paired them with my go-to white high top Converse. 




look #2: a diamond accessory with a denim shirt, during the day (and not with a black dress at night).  I switched this one up with another one of Ines' ideas.  Instead of the diamond necklace or earrings paired with the denim shirt, I interchanged the shirt to a rock n' roll T-shirt.  Mixing glitz and rock seemed appropriate, there's some sort of fluidity in that combo. 






look #3: a pearl necklace with a rock n' roll tee T-shirt (not with a simple shift dress). So again, here's where I just switched this idea around a little bit.  I liked the idea of a long, pearl necklace, with the collared denim shirt.  It gives a preppy feel, and you can pair this with some awesome patterned leggings and combat boots (or the high top Converse already packed if you don't have a ginormous suitcase to fit a ton of shoes).




The rest of the looks I took from Nordstrom's website, http://shop.nordstrom.com/, so you fashionistas could have a place to purchase if you liked the pieces enough...



look #4: jeans with gem-encrusted sandals (not sneakers).  These are Joe's denim found in the TBD department of Nordstrom, and these particular jeans are a skinny, cropped ankle pant.  The sandal is Steve Madden 'Shineyy' sandal, featured in this month's Nordstrom catalog so get them quick!





look #5: an evening dress with ultra-plain, open-toed sandals (not with gem-encrusted evening variety).  This dress is made by Max Mara and is the 'Emma' sleeveless, knit.  The sandal (which I'm obsessed with) is Gwen Stefani's brand, L.A.M.B., 'Ciara' sandal. 





look #6: a pencil skirt with ballet flats (not with heels).  The skirt is by Vince Camuto and can be found in the Point of View department of Nordstrom. The ballet flats are Steve Madden 'KStudd' flat.  

This mint and tan variety is for a more conservative fashionista, if I were to put my personal aesthetic preference into this look it would look something more along the lines of this......still a pencil skirt and ballet flat concept but with a little edge (skirt-TopShop and flats are Kate Spade NY 'Tuttie' style).
  




look #7: loafers with shorts... and even with socks (not with long slacks and no socks).  These leopard shorts are Haute Hippie found in the Savvy department and the penny loafers are Cole Haan 'Air Monnie'.  Leopard and orange are a match made in heaven.  If you like the sock idea, I'd go with a neutral, more along the lines of creme or beige.  





look #8: a chiffon print dress with battered biker boots (not with brand new ballet flats).  This has to be one of my favorite looks because it is right up my alley, I would definitely rock this.  Snapple fact: chiffon comes from the French word meaning rag or cloth, AND it does not wrinkle easily so it's a suitcase packing friendly material.  The dress is Jessica Simpson print blouson chiffon dress and the boots are Steve Madden 'Troopa' boot.





look #9: an evening dress with a straw handbag (not with a gold clutch).  Love, love, love the color and structure of this dress.  I'm thinking coral jewelry would compliment the emerald perfectly.  The evening dress is Amsale crinkled silk chiffon and the handbag is MICHAEL Michael Kors 'Berkley' straw clutch (might have to purchase this, amazing).  This bag could easily transition to other destinations as well, let's say Costa Rica...Bahamas, think tropical.





look #10: a sequined sweater with men's trousers (not with a skirt).  Okay, so I know buying a men's pair of trousers might be pushing it (honestly though, I might have to try this, how comfortable do those look?)  But right now, the whole "boyfriend" cardigans and "boyfriend" jeans are IN, so those would make a suitable substitute.  But if you're feeling adventurous these pants are found in the Men's Furnishings department, Thom Browne cotton trousers.  The sweater is a Donna Karan Collection sequin cashmere and silk.  This color combo needs to be added to my closet, stat! 





This is just a starter guide, and a lot of these pieces could be mixed and matched as well (as I did with looks number 2 & 3).  I'd also recommend future Paris goers to purchase this book.  It gives a lot of other fun tidbits, including boutiques in Paris to shop at, beauty tips, etc. Bring it as carry-on, and absorb yourself in Parisian culture as you make that 14 hour trek. 

Best of travels to you, and see you at the Eiffel Tower,

Alysha M.













No comments:

Post a Comment