AddThis

Oh, Hello Friend

Making New Friends (And Keeping Them)


Spotlight On:
Oh, Hello Friend | 122 N. Harbor Blvd. #103 Fullerton, CA



    Is it just me or can social media make you feel like we're back in high school?  High follower counts solidifying your title for 'Most Popular'.  It doesn't have to be like that.  Let's put the social in social.  As an adjective the word social is marked by friendly companionship with others.  All these friends on Facebook, and followers on Instagram are real, live people.  I'm here to tell you, you need to break the illusion of usernames, and get outside that 2x2 box.  Meet the people behind the images that you view.  Immerse yourself in face to face interactions, and you will find that those stuffy media walls will be torn down, there's no cool kids club, it can all be one big happy community.

     My past week has been filled to the brim with new acquaintances, blossoming friendships, and building community.  One of those encounters happened when I stepped back through the doors of a store that's a favorite of mine.  I had been in this shop before, and let me tell you, the moment I stepped into Oh, Hello Friend they had a friend in me; wall to wall goodness!  From collectibles, table decor, with the main attraction being, but of course, the witty greeting cards we all love to love from the darling Rifle Paper Co.  It was Tuesday that I went in, being warmly welcomed by Dianuh, one of the store's designers.  We got to talking, leading me to ask Dianuh more about herself, the shop, and sharing what we each do for a living.  This exchange turned into us exchanging numbers, hoping that one day we are able to lock in a coffee shop hang.  The ease at which the conversation flowed is a lesson for me in how much more often I should be opening up to the people around me.  The first time around, my only intention was to shop for things that interested me, then I walked out.  This time I went in with the intention to ask about the store, giving kudos where it's due, and the outcome was getting to meet a cool, new friend in the process.  It's those moments of intentionality where interactions truly spark, connecting people, because "Hey! We have this, this, and that in common!"   I highly recommend getting out of your comfort zone, bridging the gap more often and having an awareness of the people surrounding you.   You may encounter that they have something great to offer; a piece of advice, a useful business card, and vice versa.  If not, that's okay too!  A nice "Hello, how are you?" is always refreshing as well! 

     So, per my title, I promise How To Make Friends, but how is it that you keep them?  Well, that is entirely up to you.  We're all different.  I've found that I like to be a friend who reaches out, putting others before myself, extending a helping hand if they need it, or simply being there to love on them when there is an especially hard thing going on in their life.  Evaluate what you find endearing in friendships, then emulate that behavior.  It's really that easy!  Also, if you make it to the Downtown Fullerton area, I would probably, maybe, kind of, sort of, really, highly recommend you check out Oh, Hello Friend.  The shop will be moving a couple doors down at the beginning of November to a bigger space (which means more room for more great stuff!) so be counting down the days until that, I know I will! 
Here's a little preview of their product, enjoy! x, 











-Alysha M.
#finditliveit #Baggage #cityguide #thatOCcommunity
- - - 


No comments:

Post a Comment