AddThis

Long Beach, CA - Wedding

The Story Behind The Shoot

style guide || AJ & Stephanie


    It all started with a friend asking me to take pictures for her graduation invites back in May.  She and I sat on her couch, looking through the 600 (!) pictures I took of her that day, choosing which ones we liked together.  The informality of that shoot shows how little I knew about photography as a career and all that comes with it.  As a few more opportunities presented themselves, something clicked as I was shooting them.  Photography and interacting with people in this way was something I thoroughly enjoyed.  Spending countless hours editing pictures, reliving the moments spent with them was such a joy for me.  Here I was, camera in hand, doors swinging wide open, and it's those kind of things that happen in my life that I start to wonder, "Is this from God?"  He knows how He made me, He knows where my passions lie, and here I was collecting the pieces He had laid out before me, not fully realizing that this cookie crumb trail was leading me to my future as a photographer.  

     The turning point was when a stranger contacted me through social media, and asked me if I would shoot her wedding.  I got super excited and with very little thought said, "Yes, let's do it!  But let me be honest with you, I have never shot a wedding.."  Before I made anymore moves, I stopped and prayed.  I asked, "God, if this is really You, can you please show me?  If You'd have me do this wedding, let it happen so smoothly that I know, know, know this a step in the right direction before I commit."  The date of this particular wedding happened to be the same week I would be out of town.  The defeat I felt, and overwhelming sense of "what a bummer" would not subside.  This defeatist attitude quickly turned to motivation as I felt the Lord tell me, "I wanted to show you what I have for you.  But there's a few other things you need to get in alignment first." 

     So instead of trying to figure it out on my own, I said, "Alright Lord, lead the way!"   I started praying about meeting a mentor in the industry, or someone that could help me understand the business side to it.  Like always, God came through in such a way that was beyond my wildest expectations.  I was led to a like-minded, humble, talented professional in this industry who graciously took me under her wing upon meeting her.  When she asked me to shoot alongside her at a wedding she had booked, my excitement level sky rocketed.  Getting the chance to shadow her where she thrives and that she trusted my ability to do this with her is the main reason this wedding will always mean so much to me.  There's others reasons as well; after all, it was the first wedding I shot (you always remember your first and your last, right?); the sheer magnitude of wedding tidbits I picked up and tucked away (the garter traditionally goes on the right leg); plus the bride and groom's sincerity and love for each other was contagious, along with the family and friends who were super relaxed, "go with the flow" type's, essentially a wedding photographer's dream come true.  I thank God for getting my attention and getting me to this place.  As I sat down to edit these photos I think of all the intricate God orchestrated details that has led me to this place and this verse keeps reverberating through my mind...

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.  In those days when you pray, I will listen.  If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me." Jeremiah 29:11-13.

Thank You Lord! 
And here's to AJ & Stephanie, 

















#baggage #photosbyalysha #weddings #styleguide

x, Alysha M.

- - -








No comments:

Post a Comment