AddThis

The Unexpected Adventure!

adventure guide | How to Be An Authentic Adventurer





 Authenticity- the consistency between character and creed; be the person whose actions match what they say.  It's those moments when we put our words into action we feel the most accomplished.  So many of us talk about going into the world and living out some radical adventures but how many of us actually do it?  Get a room full of different personalities, and have the one question be, "If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go and why?" The room will be abuzz with conversation all night long.  This common desire amongst people is undeniable. We all have that adventure drive built in us in some way, shape or form.  Yet, so many people talk about living out these elaborate plans, some even go as far as writing it down on paper, "Places I Have To See..." but how often do those words jump off the page and become a reality?  How often does "hug an elephant in Bali", "sleep under the Northern Lights in an igloo", or "see the great wall of China" actually get checked off that ever growing list (these may or may not have come from my list.  I'm making no disclosures.)  So how do we take the adventure department of our lives and bring to fruition the travel desires of our hearts?

     It's really a matter of faith and trust.  Some of us may have these great schemes of travel up our sleeves but are paralyzed with thinking there are too many obstacles to get around.  This results in a set of continuous "oh well's" and "maybe someday's".  There will always be a deterrent, an obligation that gets in between you and that adventure looming in the distance.  Sometimes you need to just go, sometimes you need to just override your doubts.  I can say with certainty you will not be sorry.  I had one week's notice to decide if I wanted to join my cousin on her Costa Rican adventure.  The plans were made entirely by her.  As I played around with the idea of accompanying her, the obvious questions that were shot my way were, "Well where will you be staying?" (etc., etc.)  My answer was, "I don't really know."  In all honesty, I was okay with not really knowing.  I was going on a whim (with God leading the way), and I'd deal with each task of the travel trade as it came my way.  That may seem scary, that may seem insensible, it was actually very freeing.  

     When you have a sense of faith and trust built in, there's an inner peace that tells you to just go for it.  I can firmly say some of the best showers of my life were taken after those long days of spontaneous rain forest adventuring.  Even prior to the rainforest hikes, that strenuous effort of simply getting there, 2 flights and 3 hour car rides through foreign terrain, is worth it once you're washing off under a cascading stream of water 'high five's'.  Some of the best meals are eaten as you live the life of  authentic adventuring.  Not only is the prospect of an exotic menu exciting, it's even more thrilling when you just stumble upon a restaurant set amongst tropical trees with rocking chair chairs trumping any booth I've ever sat in.  You lose the element of surprise when you have your entire adventure mapped out, rigid with schedules and time constraints.  It's far more rewarding to be that person who steps out onto the bridge of faith, acting out the starring role of your adventure story.  You've always said you wanted to cross that bridge suspended high above rushing water, now here's your chance.  How are you going to cross?  I say cross with urgency, cross with intention, cross with open eyes.  There's far more adventure waiting on the other side. 

Costa Rica

- - - 

#liveauthentic #adventureauthentic
#Baggage #TravelGuide

-Alysha M.

No comments:

Post a Comment