AddThis

Uganda! Baggage + Compassion International

This blog started as a travel guide, "How To Pack..." because of an assignment given in one of my college classes.  With a grunt, and a sigh two other friends and I took it on just as simply as that, an assignment.  As the weeks passed I thoroughly enjoyed it, and felt that passion of writing really take root.  I continued writing on Baggage once that class was over, as travel opportunities continued my way.  Yet I felt I wanted to talk about personal experiences in these places above what I had or hadn't packed.  There were so much more to these trips than that.  Which leads me to this year, this brand new year with trips formulating, ideas swirling and I want to share with you just how much each trip means to me in my life, while throwing in a few packing mishaps along the way of course! :)

The first trip of the year, I'm not going on.  I'm observing and going to be the prayer warrior in the corner as I follow 5 bloggers through Northern Uganda as they travel with Compassion International to the slums of Africa, bringing hope to hurting hearts all in Jesus' name.  I was led to Compassion International this winter as I was searching, searching for ways to get up and serve!  Serving the hurting, roughing it with them, learning a new culture, experiencing cold showers and hard floors, I'm ready!  Or so I thought... but as I prayed about it, I felt I need to learn the art of being still, appreciating where I'm at, and not always looking to the next adventure. However, I wanted to do something!  For Christmas I had the idea of, "Well if I can't get to Africa this year, I can support a child from my very own home."  So that I did!  I became the sponsor of Patience Chekwemoi, who is 6 years old living in Uganda, and it was through Compassion International that I was given this great blessing.  I am able to write to her, pray for her, and one day hopefully get the chance to meet her in person.

This all leads me to the Uganda trip through Compassion International.  I volunteered to support this trip through my blog, praying over the bloggers going on this trip, in hopes this sparks some interest in friends or even strangers who stumble upon my blog, Baggage.  The interest being sponsoring a child, giving the child and their families hope and helping them rise above poverty.  Compassion is a great organization and it's such a fun way to immerse yourself in a culture.  There are so many children just waiting to be sponsored from numerous different countries.  It just so happens that I chose Patience because Uganda has a special place in my heart, and the Uganda trip these bloggers are going on grabbed my attention.  Compassion has sent bloggers throughout the world, Nicaragua, the Philippines, etc.  I hope to one day be on one of these trips, blogging for this awesome purpose, meeting families and connecting with them.  Until then I will stay faithful in the small things and watch as these bloggers venture out into the world doing awesome things for these children, and ultimately for God in heaven!



"Better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. |  Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
Prov. 16:19  |  Matt. 5:3

blessings,
Alysha M.


No comments:

Post a Comment