AddThis

A Darling Evening

Humility || Finding Your Niche

life guide 


     I felt honored to land a spot at the Darling Magazine dinner party held in Los Angeles, California.  The evening consisted of meeting new people and filling the space with good conversation, good music, and the aroma of an excellent meal cooked by a gracious hostess.  The focus of the evening was to discuss topics with and encourage, women to women, on what it looks like to exude grace, beauty, and so much more.  It got me thinking, my mind swirling with ideas.  I’ve been feeling bogged down by the blog life.  Who would'a thunk a world of hash tags and ‘Gram tags would rule one day?  It’s not even the blog that’s weighing me down.  It’s the lack of something permanent.  It’s the “I’ll blog when I feel like blogging”.  It’s the “This is only one of many outlets to release my creativity and I use it when I see fit.”  Along with part time blogger, I could add professional journaler, picture taker, and every now and then cake maker to the list .  When it’s time to submit a resume  I’m not sure how seriously an employer is going to take any of my self given job titles seriously.  Would I even hire me?  Looking on the positive side of things I know God has allowed me this time to discover my niche and what it is that I might possibly be great at one day.

     My dilemma lies in what exactly do all these ideas look like all balled up into one?  How do I put a fire to these flames that have ignited?  I feel I have one foot in the door in one direction and my other foot in an entirely different door.  I want to be an expert in something.  I want to claim something as mine.  When someone asks, “So what do you do for a living?” I want to answer confidently with a firm punch of an answer.  It’s not even about the ‘living’ part per se.  It’s about the making of it that’s important to me.   It’s about creating a life and influencing others with the confidence I have in making that life.   It’s taking me out of the equation entirely and performing a skill like the back of my hand so as to embody love and bless others by this God given talent I possess.  

     It’s the “What skill do I put myself wholly into?” question tripping me up the most.  I see this elaborate future, yet nothing is taking root in my life.  Maybe that means I have some learnin’ to still do, and some baby steps to take.  I’m so quick to think I have it all under control or I that I already know all there is I need to know.   When really, there is so much I don’t even know that I don’t know (if that makes sense?)  It’s humbling to start at the bottom.  Humility is a trait I’ve become quite fond of.  It’s a folly to ever think too highly of yourself.   I know my God is right there ready to take my feet out from under me if I should ever pat myself too firmly on the back.  And I’m completely fine with that because we should never give ourselves any of the success credit.  Success is given once we can be held responsible with such a gift, holding it lightly, and being ready to share the wealth with a glad heart.

     If this testing period of my life leaves me thinking less of myself I count myself all the more successful.  If it gets me to thinking intently on what can I achieve so I may contribute to the people I encounter in my life, then I count that as success.  I may not know what the words of the next page in my story read, but that’s okay.  I’m one step closer to filling it up because I acknowledge that strength lies in our weaknesses. 


“My grace is sufficient for thee; for My strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

-Alysha M.

No comments:

Post a Comment